MHG25834 - Site of Culloden Cottage, Smithton
Culloden Cottage is depicted as a roofed building on the 1st Ordnance Survey map and later editions but is no longer extant.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (In use, Post Medieval to 20th Century - 1560 AD? to 1964 AD? (between))
- None recorded
NH74NW 97 7153 4528
One unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1982).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 18 June 1996.
The above description is not referring to the building marked as "Culloden Cottage" but to an unroofed ruin to the south - see MHG54318 . <1>
Culloden Cottage is depicted as a roofed building on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps (c.1871-74 and c.1904-5 respectively) and the 6 inch 5th edition map c.1959. A remnant of the building still seems to survive c.1968-70. <2>-<4>
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1968-1973. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5b. Digital.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959-1963. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map: Epoch 5a.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7154 4531 (71m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114325 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.