MHG2588 - Mine, Tom a' Mhein
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MINE (Undated)
- None recorded
Lead Mine. (Disused) (NAT)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
A lead mine which has not been worked "for some years" (prior to c.1870). It consists of a ditch driven a short distance along the vein of ore. Remains of a smelting hearth exist nearby, together with a stamping mill, water-wheel etc. which were falling into decay at the time.
Name Book 1870
Graphite was mined here for a short time at the beginning of the 19th c; in 1818 5 tons were produced.
D D C P Mould 1950
A disused opencast lead mine generally as described in the ONB. The stamping mill and water-wheel cannot be identified, although the three mine buildings survive almost to roof height.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 October 1966.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2855 3842 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12172 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.