MHG25891 - Peinaha
A probable multi-phase township containing the footings of many abandoned buildings.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HEAD DYKE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG45NW 8 centred on 422 585
A township comprising six roofed and four unroofed buildings, their associatated enclosures and field walls and what may be two phases of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1880, sheet xi). The township is defined on the W partly by a head-dyke and partly by Lon Godrom which separates it from the township of Peinlich ("Peinlea" on the OS 1st edition 6-inch map), and on the E by a small burn that is not named from the township of Glenuachdrach.
Three roofed, one partially roofed and four unroofed buildings, their associated enclosures and field walls and two phases of head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1996
Photographs were submitted in September 2009 of the low stone footings of a building and enclosure at 1 Glenuachdarach, which falls within the area of Peinaha township. The footings are not depicted on the 1st or 2nd edition maps, but were surveyed for the 5th edition published in 1965. <1>
The former buildings of this township can be clearly seen on an RAF vertical aerial photograph taken in 1946 (CPE/SCOT/UK/0175, 1329). There are extensive areas of ridge and furrow and the head dyke(s) are also clearly visible. <2><3>
- <1> SHG24493 Image/Photograph(s): Gordon, J. 09/2009. Photographs of 1 Glenuachdarach, Glenhinnisdale. Colour. . Digital.
- <2> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> SHG23367 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Royal Air Force. 1946-7. Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs. CPE/SCOT/UK/0175, 1329.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 42095 58644 (1041m by 854m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114646 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.