MHG2591 - Mackenzie's Grave and Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
NH21SW 1 2358 1122 to 2361 1121.
(NH 2358 1122) Mackenzie's Grave (NAT). (NH 2361 1121) Mackenzie's Cairn (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed.,(1874), 2nd ed., (1904)
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Mackenzie's Grave and Cairn are associated with Roderick Mackenzie, a fugitive from the battle of Glenshiel, 1719, who, pretending to be Prince Charles, was executed and his head taken to London.
B G Macrow 1948; O Blundell 1921
Mackenzie's Cairn (NH 2360 1125) measures 3.0m in diameter and 2.5m in height and is surmounted by a large stone. In the centre of the cairn is a plaque which reads 'At this spot in 1746 did Roderick Mackenzie, an officer in the army of Prince Charles, of the same size and similar appearance to his Royal Prince. When surrounded and overpowered by the troops of the Duke of Cumberland, gallantly died in attempting to save his fugitive leader from further pursuit.'
Visited by OS (RD) 27 May 1964.
Drumnadrochit & Fort Augustus Local Plan, Oct 1991: P50/5.18. Roadside Facilities - A887. The Council intend to provide a picnic site and interpretive facilities by the Cairn as aprt of proposed improvements to the A887.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. 1994. Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Macrow, B G. 1948. Kintail Scrapbook; with photographs by Robert M Adam. 58.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, O. 1921. 'Kilcumein and Fort Augustus', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 8 1912-18, p.62-87. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 62-87. 71.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2357 1122 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12164 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.