MHG25933 - Crofting township, Balmaqueen, Kilmaluag
A crofting township shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey and still occupied. The earliest settlement in the township appears to have been in the north-west portion close to St Moluag's church (abandoned by the later 19th century).
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTING TOWNSHIP (16th Century to 21st Century - 1501 AD? to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
NG47SW 34 centred on 440 746
A crofting township, comprising twenty-five roofed, three partially roofed buildings, one unroofed building and a field-system is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch maps (Inverness-shire 1878, Isle of Skye, sheet iv). Twenty roofed, two partially, six unroofed buildings and a field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1966).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 8 October 1996 <1>
Photographs of an unroofed former blackhouse at 1 Balmacqueen were submitted to the HER in August 2009. Planning permission has been granted for a new house and it is proposed to renovate this building for use as a garage. <2>
The earliest settlement seems to have been in the north west portion of the township, in the vicinity of St Moluag's church. These remains were surveyed in 2011 in connection with proposed development. For full details, and to download the report, see MHG25929 and related records. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 114688.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Unknown. 08/2009. Photographs of 1 Balmaqueen, Portree. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Detailed Survey: 7 North Duntulm, Trotternish, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. p 10-11.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Birch, S and Peteranna, M. Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Detailed Survey: 7 North Duntulm, Trotternish, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. p 10-11.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4406 7464 (1258m by 766m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114688 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.