MHG26016 - Township - Boreraig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo - shows building with enclosing wall at NG 18716 53242, with walls up to 1.9m high.
See Report 1223
Glendale, Skye - Water Mains Renewal Project
S Farrell, Feb 2004
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NG15SE 63.00 centred on 187 535
63.01 1813 5327 Shieling-hut (Possible)
63.02 183 537 Shieling Mounds (Possible)
63.03 183 536 Shieling-huts
63.04 184 534 Structures
63.05 185 535 Cairns
A crofting township, comprising fifty-two roofed buildings, one partially roofed building, seven unroofed buildings and two head-dykes is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch maps (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1880, sheet xiv). Seventeen roofed, thirty-one unroofed buildings and two head-dykes are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Within the township boundaries are two shieling sites, cairns and structures which were recorded during field-survey by Miket and Wildgoose (1989).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 8 October 1996
The ruins of many rectangular buildings and associated structures are visible on aerial photography and are depicted on current (2019) OS mapping within Borreraing. <1> <2>
See HES Canmore records below for aerial photographs taken across the township. <3>
- <1> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <2> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <3> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 345930, 345929, 345932.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 1869 5350 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114788 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345929/boreraig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345930/boreraig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/345932/borreraig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.