MHG2608 - Old Castle of Kilwhinan, Fort Augustus

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • TOWER HOUSE (Undated)
  • (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A ruined building with a tower at the west end, surrounded on the west, north and east sides by a wide entrenchment cut into the escarpment is named "Old Castle of Kilwhinan." (J Dumaresq and J Bastide 1718) There is a tradition that there was a Cromwellian fort at Kilcumein.
O Blundell 1921; J Dumaresq and J Bastide 1718

No trace of the "Old Castle of Kilwhinan" remains.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 April 1964

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 3823 0907 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH30NE
Civil Parish BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.