MHG26104 - Hut circle, 540m east of Achvraid, Essich
A probable hut circle surviving as an upstanding earthwork.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1250 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NH63NE 64 650 389
What may be a hut-circle is visible on aerial photographs (RCAHMS AP 1994) in a semi-improved field to the S of Essich. Some 10m to the SW a circular stony feature may either be a robbed out cairn or a smaller hut-circle. A few small cairns are visible on the aerial photographs around the hut-circle.
Information from RCAHMS (DCC) 31 January 1997
This site was visited by a member of HCAU staff in August 2009. The feature was confirmed as a probable hut circle, measuring approximately 10 metres in diameter. A possible entrance was located to the south east. The western side of the feature is somewhat denuded. The circular stony feature to the south west was not located. <1><2>
This hut circle can be seen on oblique aerial photographs taken by Jim Bone in 1997. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 19/08/2009.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Tilbury, S. 2009-11. Photographs by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. Colour. . Digital. 19/08/2009.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital. 97/4/7 and 97/4/8.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 64990 38900 (10m by 10m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115094 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.