MHG2611 - Early C18 Barracks - Kiliwhimin Fort, Fort Augustus
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BARRACKS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FORT (18th Century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
NH30NE 5 3777 0905.
(NH 3777 0905) Kiliwhimin, built in 1718, was a small fort of the standard Hanoverian government type. In plan it was similar to, but slightly larger than, Ruthven Barracks (NN 79 NE1) i.e. square, with a projecting tower at each of two diagonally opposite corners.
The fort was considered too far from the water, and was superseded in 1727 by Fort Augustus (Built 1729-42: NH 30 NE 6). In 1745 it was taken over by the Jacobites who, from it, bombarded and reduced Fort Augustus. The south (sic) wall of Kiliwhimin Fort stands in the back yard of the Lovat Arms Hotel, Fort Augustus.
S Cruden 1960
The remains of Kiliwhimin Fort consist of the west curtain wall, 36.5m long, and 4.0m high, pierced by a central gateway and ten gun embrasures, some of which are blocked, which now forms part of the rear court of the Lovat Arms Hotel.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 April 1964
The Barracks of Kiliwhiman, built 1718 (now part of the Lovat Arms Hotel - NH30NE 5) were replced by the 'modern' Fort Augustus, built 1729-42 (Fort Augustus, Old Fort Augustus). The remains of this Fort Augustus are incorporated into Fort Augustus Abbey and Church (NH30NE 6).
Architect: James Smith 1718-1719
Fort Augustus - Inverness-shire
Said to have occupied the area on which Fort Augustus was built, between the Rivers Tarfe and Oich where the enter the South end of Loch Ness.
In the National Library of Scotland is a series of Military Maps and Drawings (many are coloured) of the Board of Ordnance, relating to the Works executed in the 18th Century, Reference "MSS. 1645-1652). These Drawings include, in Case, or Volume, No.1648, the following relating to Kiliwhiman:-
Z.3/8. No date. "Situation of Barrack at Kiliwhiman" - at the debouching of the River of Oich on Loch Ness.
Z.3/9. 1719. "A large plan of "Kiliwhiman", 1719. Shews its situation.
Z.3/10. No date. "Kiliwhiman", Plan, Sections, and Elevations, with Explanation. Scale 10 Feet to an Inch. There are copies.
" No date. A small Engraving of the Plan, Sections, and Elevations of Killewhiman.
Z.3/11. No date. "Explanation of the Plan, Section and Elevation of the Barracks at Inversnait and at Kiliwhiman". Shews small scale plans and elevations and Sections to 30 Feet to an Inch. There is a copy.
This Drawing is also entered under Inversnait.
Z3/12. 1723. "Plan Section and Elevation of the Barracks at Killiwhiman, "with a particular Plan and Section of the Cistern". With Explanation. Scale 30 Feet to an Inch for General drawing and 10 Feet to about 3 Inches for Cistern Detail. Signed by J. Remer, Engineer. 1723. There are 2 copies.
Z.3/18. No date. "Killewhiman, Inversnait. Ruthven of Badenoch, and Bernera". Plans. Sections, and Elevations of the four Barracks to the small scale of 30 Feet to an Inch. With Explanations. There are copies.
Also indexed under the other Barracks named.
The remaining length of fort wall to the rear of the Lovat Arms Hotel was listed at Category B in 1971.
Length of high rubble wall to the rear of the "Lovat Arms Hotel".
1718-19 stretch of high (approx 15') rubble walling pierced with simple square splayed gunloops and with segmental headed doorway with roughly dressed keystoned architrave partially incorporated in walled garden.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/01/01.
The remaining length of fort wall to the rear of the Lovat Arms Hotel was scheduled by Historic Scotland in 2001.
The remaining length of fort wall was de-listed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016 as part of military sites aspect of the Dual Designations Project. It remains a Scheduled Monument. <1>
Cruden, S, 1960, The Scottish castle, 235-7, 239 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2085.
Stell, G, 1973, 'Highland garrisons 1717-23: Bernera Barracks', Post-Medieval Archaeol Vol. 7 1973, p.20-30, 20-30 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG891.
<1> Jackson, L., 2016, Notification of de-listing of military sites: Dual Designations Project (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27442.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cruden, S. 1960. The Scottish castle. 235-7, 239.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1973. 'Highland garrisons 1717-23: Bernera Barracks', Post-Medieval Archaeol Vol. 7 1973, p.20-30. Post-Medieval Archaeol. 20-30. 20-30.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2016. Notification of de-listing of military sites: Dual Designations Project. Historic Environment Scotland. 14/07/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3779 0906 (58m by 59m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1864 (Online revoked designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM9903 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.