MHG2616 - Old Fort Augustus Bridge over River Oich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
For successor Fort Augustus Bridge (NH 3789 0927), see NH30NE 46.
Bridge of Oich was originally a stone bridge of two arches, but some years ago one of the arches was washed away. Only one arch remains, the deficiency being made up by a wooden structure.
Name Book 1871
(Old Fort Augustus Bridge consists of a segnental stone arch, a parapet and wide-splayed cut-water, and is continued as a timber bridge of 4 spans.
(Location cited as NH 380 093). Wooden bridge, Fort Augustus, 19th century. A four-span wooden bridge attached to the single surviving semicircular arch of an older masonry bridge. Now disused and by-passed by a three-span reinforced-concrete bridge (NH30NE 30), faced with masonry and built by Mears and Carus-Wilson, architects, in 1934.
J R Hume 1977.
Bridge of Oich, which is presumably a military bridge, is now closed, the timber portion being in a poor state of repair.
Visited by OS, 28th February 1979 .
Originally Fort Augustus Old Bridge. This partly swept away and the lost portion was replaced with a timber structure known as Bridge of Oich.
- --- SHG2093 Text/Publication/Volume: d' Hardiviller. 1835. Souvenirs des Highlands voyage a la suite de Henri V en 1832. p.18.
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 204.
- --- SHG2572 Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 12; pl. 10.
- --- SHG3352 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 21, 120.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3807 0937 (42m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL318 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1865 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12202 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.