MHG26206 - Free House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH72NE 15 7894 2960
A farmstead, comprising three roofed buildings of which one is L-shaped, two unroofed buildings and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxxii). Three roofed buildings and four enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 3 July 1996.
Locally known as the Lands of Free house, it is situated overlooking the Free Burn and Tomatin distillery. It is reputedly one of the oldest dwellings in Strathdearn - a laird's house, which has been unaltered since the 1700s. Currently (2010) unoccupied and in need of restoration, it shows signs of damp on the the exterior. Free is Frithe in Gaelic, and means forest, or deer forest, and the land was reputedly a hunting perserve of the Mackintosh of Mackintosh and possibly royalty. It belonged originally to Mackintosh of Holm (Inverness) but was bought by Mr MacBean of Tomatin to add to his moor. Later it was owned by Col. and Mrs Bulloch (1928) and currently owned by Tomatin Distilleries who had tenants in the house until recently. It is a superior house, stone built and slated. The earliest reference she found to it was 1790, from the parish records noting the baptism of an infant living at Free.
Information from Ann Glynne-Percy <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7893 2960 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115723 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.