MHG26401 - Kildonan Farm
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH09SE 3.01 0773 9109
Kildonan Farm, recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey undertaken by J Wordsworth, is situated NW of the main township of Kildonan, on the NE banks of Loch Broom and consists of a number of buildings and features. The former farmhouse is still inhabited and lies within a deer proof enclosure on the boundaries of a larger enclosure marked on the current Ordnance Survey map. Two roofless buildings, one of which was shown roofed on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross and Cromarty 1905, sheet xxi), lie situated to the SW of the farmhouse at NH 0765 9110. A third unroofed building is situated on the shore below the raised beach at NH 0740 9117. Run rig or lazy bed cultivation lies up to 90m W of the building and up to 250m E of it. Another feature consisting of large boulders with a dump of very small stones is situated to the E of the farmhouse at NH 0776 9106, although it is unclear whether this is a modern feature or the remains of an earlier building. A drystone sheepfank at NH 0775 9115 is shown on the current edition of the OS map (1968).
J Wordsworth 1995; NMRS MS 961/20 <1>
This site was recorded in 2011 by Buchanan M, Buchanan J, & MacInnes A as part of an archaeological survey of Kildonan township.
The house lies on a SW facing slope above Little Loch Broom. The structure is still roofed but damage unless repaired will lead to deterioration of the house. It has remained unoccupied since 1996. The 1st OS shows both the present house built in 1851 and the earlier house (MHG58985) as roofed. It is not known if the earlier house post dates the township, being built when the sheep farm was established, but its construction of dressed stone unlike the ruins within the township, suggests this. The main house measures 9.7 x 7.4m with two extensions measuring 3.8 x 5.5m and 4.0 x 7.3m. Elevation is 19m. The older house has three main compartments with two outshots. A rough measurement gave an overall length of 25m and width of 3.3m. Elevation 14m. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Plantation at Creag na Ceapaich, Dundonnell. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Buchanan, M; Buchanan, J. & MacInnes, A.. 2011. A Survey of Kildonan Township. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.15,16.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0773 9108 (18m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115942 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.