MHG26437 - Lynwilg Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NH81SE 20 8810 1066
A farmstead, comprising six roofed buildings, three of which surround a courtyard, one unroofed building and three enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet lxxiii). Four roofed buildings and six enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1986).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 July 1996.
Lynwilg was not only the residence of a gentleman who was a part of the local 'society' in the early 1800s but also the home of the Cumming family who for generations kept a shop and later hotel. When a stage coach service between Perth and Inverness started in 1813, the mails for the Doune and other houses were dropped at Lynwilg. Although there was no reliable ford between the Doune and Lynwilg until later in the century, a small boat crossed the Spey at this point.
Lynwilg expanded as a farm through the 1860s, the tenancy having been taken over by a farmer from Banffshire. This included the lands of Kinakyle. There was a schoolhouse there by the 1890s. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8810 1066 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/116016 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.