MHG2644 - Possible chapel site, Killiechoilum

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

North of the farmhouse at Killiechoilum ( Cill a' Chuingleum, "Church of the Gorge-leap" (W J Watson 1926)) is a knoll at NH 4800 1330, flanked by rig-and-furrow cultivation. Local tradition associates it with the site of a chapel. Ground inspection shows no trace of any structure having been here. Further to the north, however, at NH 4822 1354, is a lone footing conceivably the remains of a chapel. It measures 4.6 by 2.8m approximately within a turf-covered wall 0.3m high at best and spread to a maximum 1.2m broad.
Surveyed at 1/10,000.
Visited by OS (J M) 21 February 1979

NH 4825 1354. Supposed remains of graveyard. A grass-covered enclosure 0.5m high. No traces of gravestones.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 July 1964

A walkover survey in September 2009 revealed a rectangular building at NH 48224/13542 at 740ft. Aligned NE-SW with doorway to SW situated on a NW facing slope. Building is 6.3m by 4m with walls spread to 1m and 0.25m high. Sits to NE of burn. No sign of any associated features. Not very convincing as a chapel site, look more like a house site. As place name suggests closer to Farm. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4822 1354 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH41SE
Civil Parish BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.