MHG26462 - Mill - Inverlaidnan


Ruined mill at Inverlaidnan

Type and Period (1)

  • MILL? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A mill (NH 8620 2108), with a lade running along the north side of the Allt an Aonaich from NH 8576 2117 to NH 8619 2107.
Information from Ann Wakeling, 8/12/99

An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xlv), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1982).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 3 July 1996

A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018.

Site 1. Mill. The scant remains of a rectangular building on a N-S alignment measure 4m x 2m internally and are at right angles to the burn – the Allt an Aonaich. The wheel would have been at the N end of the building and aligned with the end of the nearby lade (NOSAS site 02) which is 30 metres to the W and approximately 2m higher. The tail race which is contained by a bank, 0.7m high, curves to the east and joins the burn just before the bridge. The mill is marked on estate plans of 1771 and 1808, but by the time of the 1860 plan it is a ruin. It is possible that the ruin marked on the 1st edition OS map and recorded during the FESP project of 1996 (Canmore ID: 116057 and HC HER ID MHG26462) is this mill but it is not quite in the correct location. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <2>

1st Edition OS 6" <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 8621 2107 (6m by 6m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH82SE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.