MHG2652 - Fort, Dun Fhamhair
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC to 900 AD)
Dun Fhamhair (NR)
OS 6"map, (1959)
Dun Fhamhair, a fort, situated on a prominent shoulder with an easy approach from the NE. It is oval on plan measuring c. 43.0m N-S by c. 35.0m within a tumbled wall in which the lowest course of the outer face can be seen for most of the perimeter. Inner facing stones are evident in the SE giving a wall thickness at this point of 3.5m. The RCAHMS (Visited by RCAHMS to OS 1957) state that the entrance is in the NE, but this can no longer be seen. The interior is featureless.
A modern wall surrounds the fort and outside this a rampart and outer ditch bars the easy approach from the NE. The rampart averages c. 3.5m in width and c. 0.5m in height; the ditch is c. 3.0m in width and c. 0.5m in depth. At the NW end a few scattered stones suggest that the rampart continued to join the fort. In the middle of this outer defence a causeway across the ditch and a break in the bank is probably an original entrance.
Divorced survey at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R L) 7 April 1970; T D Wallace 1886
This site is included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Dun Fhamhair.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Dun Fhamhair, Ruisaurie, Beauly.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. 342.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Dun Fhamhair, Beauly.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 94.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2875.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4842 4707 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5212 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2875.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5212 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12377 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.