MHG26652 - Earthwork - Donaldston, Wester Lovat Farm
Sunken earthwork by Wester Lovat Farm
Type and Period (2)
- EARTHWORK (Undated)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Inverness Field Club, led by Donald Coghill, surveyed a number of sites in the Aird area between 1987 and 1989. Wester Lovat Farm. Sunken area in field, 26 yards wide at the east end but wider at the west end at roadside. It is 56 yards long on the top and south side. It was the site of a cottage in 19th and early 20th Centuries and is now a stone dump. It appears to have been originally for some other purpose. The site is called Donaldston, a name which first appears not later than 1325. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Jacks, S E (ed.). 1989. Some unrecorded sites in the Aird noted between Oct 1987 & May 1989. Inverness Field Club. Digital. no. 10. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5427 4560 (103m by 130m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/116617 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.