MHG26697 - Settlement - Altnacardich, Kirkhill
A settlement at Altnacardich, Kirkhill.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Inverness Field Club, led by Donald Coghill, surveyed a number of sites in the Aird area between 1987 and 1989. Southwest of Altnacardich. There appears to be the remains of an old settlement consisting of a low turf wall running southeast for 17 yards with a gap of 11 yards, and then a further 24 yards in the same direction. A short distance further down there is a turf wall 2 feet high running north north west for 21 yards where there is a right-angle corner, after which it runs down hill for 13 yards. Here there is a gap of 6 feet, and then the stone footings of the gable of a building on the same line. The opposite gable is 6 yards long and situated 9 yards to the south southwest. 28 yards downhill and towards the north, there is a turf wall 22 yards long and running from west to east. 7 yards down from the east end of this fail dyke there are the stone footings of a building with an outside measurement of 13 yards x 5 yards. This building runs downhill and has a doorway facing south near the southeast corner. There are stone footings of an adjoining structure on the same line at the lower end. <1>
NH 44/54 OS 578424 • No. 222
Curk Wood S.W. of Altnacardich
Stone footings of rectangular building 9 yards x 5 yards. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Jacks, S E (ed.). 1989. Some unrecorded sites in the Aird noted between Oct 1987 & May 1989. Inverness Field Club. Digital. no. 36. XY
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Jacks, S E (ed.). 1989. Some unrecorded sites in the Aird noted between Oct 1987 & May 1989. Inverness Field Club. Digital. Appendiix 1b No. 222. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2579 8425 (128m by 196m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/116704 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.