MHG2672 - Cross, St. Ninian's Episcopal Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Undated)
NH43SW 3 4312 3042
(NH 3728 2998) Cross (AT) Removed from the Knights Templar's Chapel.
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
"A cross, sculptured in bold relief, upon a stone about one foot broad and eighteen inches long, is built into the south wall of Corriemony House. This stone was taken from the Knights Templar's Chapel at Temple (NH 53 SW 2)... but the date of removal is unknown ..." (NH 4312 3042) Name Book 1871
This cross, which was built into the south wall of Corriemony House, was removed by the Rev. Simpson, after Corriemony House was partially destroyed by fire in 1950, and placed in the chancel of St. Ninian's Episcopal Chapel, Glen Urquhart, where it can still be seen today. The cross is sculptured upon a block of sandstone measuring 12 x 18 inches, and is placed at the S. side of the altar.
Visited by OS (R D) 22 July 1964
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 56, 19 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3389.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4312 3043 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:15018 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15018 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12349 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.