MHG2673 - Cairn and Cist - Balnalick
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH43SW 2 4379 3120.
(NH 4379 3120) Cairn (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
This circular cairn 53' - 54' in diameter and 4' high at centre, is composed of small stones, with a retaining kerb of large irregular blocks 3' - 4' in length. No sign of any outer circle of standing stones was found
Excavations in July and August 1887, revealed a cist containing a collared cinerary urn, about 13" high. In the urn, which was broken on removal, was a MBA razor (now in Inverness Museum) and bones, some of which were recognisable as parts of a skull.
The cist, 2' long, had been built on layers composed of ashes, charcoal and earthy matter and fragments of bone and quartz.
A Grant 1888; J M Coles 1966
This cairn is generally as described by Grant, but no trace of the cist remains. It is now grass-covered and surmounted by small trees and the centre of the cairn used as a depository for stone clearance.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 December 1964.
The razor was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
Information from the Inverness Museum archive files states that the razor was donated to Inverness Museum in 1938. It is listed under Acc. No. 1938.059. <2> <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Grant, A. 1888. 'Notice of the opening of a sepulchral cairn at Balnalick, Glen Urquhart, Inverness-shire; with notes on cup-marked stones in Glen Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 22 1887-8, p.42-51. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 42-51. 42-7; illust. 45, 46.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 148.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Piggott, C M. 1946. 'The Late Bronze Age razors of the British Isles', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 12 1946, p.121-41. Proc Prehist Soc. 121-41. 135, no. 5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jockenhovel, A. 1980. Die Rasiermesser in Westeuropa. 41, no. 91.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 60.
- <2> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1938.059.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1938.059.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4378 3119 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
- RAZOR (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12348 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.