MHG269 - Township, Oronsay Island
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Centred on 590 590
(NM 59 59) Oronsay Island. Remains of 19 houses, mostly in the centre and E end of the island; 9 buildings in 1836. Occupied by 1801, partially cleared about 1868, remaining houses abandoned 1871-81.
P Gaskell 1968
Cruck-slots noted (at NM 597 588).
G Stell 1981
A township comprising eleven unroofed, five roofed buildings, what may be a naust lying adjacent to the High Water Mark, seven enclosures, five fields and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xxxix). Thirteen unroofed buildings, six enclosures, one field and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 May 1998
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5900 5900 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22314 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.