MHG2698 - British Aluminium Factory, Foyers


Late C19 aluminium works

Type and Period (1)

  • ALUMINIUM SMELTER (Built, 19th Century - 1895 AD to 1896 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Built 1896, presumably by Cameron and Burnett; closed 1970. Very sturdy in hammer-dressed rubble, the front a parade of round-arched windows in crowstepped gables.
J Gifford 1992. <1>

(Location cited as NH 497 211). Aluminium works, Foyers, founded 1896 by the British Aluminium Co Ltd. The surviving part of the works is an eight-bay rustic single-storey range with crow-stepped gables on each bay. At the W end is a lower wider bay in the same style, and at the E end are two narrower bays at right-angles. No longer an aluminium works. Nearby is the quay at one time used for shipment through the Caledonian Canal.
J R Hume 1977. <2>

This structure was reviewed as part of the Hydroelectric Power Thematic Survey, February 2011. The listing category was changed from B to A. Full details about the structure are available in the listed building description (see link). <3>

Photographs of this former aluminium works, now the Falls of Foyers power station, were submitted to the HER in June 2011 to satisfy a condition on listed building consent (11/00944/LBC) for internal and external alterations. The photographs illustrate various areas requiring repairs. <4>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NH 49691 21051 (140m by 140m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH42SE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.