MHG27034 - Auchnagaul township
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
8 roofed buildings & smaller enclosure identified on 1st ed OS centred at this GR - HAW 6/2003
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NH56NE 54 Centred on 5680 6870
the abandoned farmstead of Auchnagaul has several components which lie within the access route corridor. These include a dry stone bondary wall of the farmhouse which lies within 3m of the proposed route. A llow stone walled 3 sided shelter revetted into a small natural knoll was noted within 10m N of the proposed access track. What appears as a a sunken relict trak with an upcast bank to the eE crosses the proposed route as does a llow stone turf covered field bank. Other features including a kiln, prob for grain drying lie to the N outside the 60m coridor (added- HAW 6/2003)
The following site was recorded as part of a desk-based assessment and field inspection conducted in December 1994 as part of an environmental assessment for a proposed c150 hectare windfarm development and access provision at Meall an Tuirc and surrounding area. The archaeological potential of the area appears generally to be low, although it is possible that further remains are buried beneath peat cover which extends across the entire site.
NH 568 688 Abandoned farmstead of Auchnagaul; on line of proposed access route.
Sponsor: Bioscan Environmental Consultancy.
J E Hamilton 1995. <1>
Photographs submitted to HER by participant on Community Timeline course, run by ARCH. <2>
<1> Hamilton, J, 1995, 'Novar Estate, near Evanton (Alness parish), desk-based study and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.41, 41 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1301.
<2> Private individuals, 2010, Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie, Janey Clarke (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24858.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hamilton, J. 1995. 'Novar Estate, near Evanton (Alness parish), desk-based study and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.41. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 41. 41.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Janey Clarke.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5680 6870 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/132603 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.