MHG27036 - Farmstead - west of Millburn Cottage, Rhu
Farmstead and associated enclosures west of Millburn Cottage, Rhu
Type and Period (3)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The following site was recorded in a desk-based survey and field inspection in four areas proposed for natural woodland regeneration. Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. D Alexander 1995.
Oval drystone structure with enclosures. <1>
A walkover survey of the Claggan and area west of Milburn was undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 10. A complex set of ruins built on a N/S ridge on the side of a fairly steeply sloping east facing hillside overlooking a wide grassy strath with views to north, east and west. The hillside to the west levels off. Ruins appear to be in four distinct sections all connected. The western site is mostly tumbled stone and only the footings are evident c.6 X 3 mtrs with a possible entrance to the north with the long side facing W/E. A more substantial ruin also c.6 X 3 mtrs with some walls to c.1 metre high has some quite good stone work extant. Entrance to the west into building 1. The buildings are attached on long axis. A level area attached to building 2 on the eastern wall side is c.6 mtrs. The area is revetted on the north, south and east sides to over a metre with rubble stone work. North and south revetment c.11 mtrs. Evidence of walling enclosing a steep approach to area 3. The walling on the north east corner of 3 runs eastwards a short distance but the walling on the south east corner running east then south east for over 20 mtrs down the slope, across a small burn and ending at a small ridge. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Alexander, D. 1995. 'Arisaig (Arisaig & Moidart parish), desk-based survey and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40. 40.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital. Page 15 No.1.4.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.92 Site 10.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6431 8505 (35m by 33m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/132605 (View HER Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.