MHG27037 - Promontory Fort, Rhumach
Promontory Fort - possible dun, Rhumach
Type and Period (2)
- PROMONTORY FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
- DUN? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
The following new site was recorded in a desk-based survey and field inspection in four areas proposed for natural woodland regeneration. NM 6416 8531 Promontory fort, possible facing stones of S side in a rubble spread. The SW side of the promontory is protected by a rubble wall up to 3m wide and 1m high, which runs for 9m along the top of the crag before turning E to block access from the N up a steep gully. The sub-circular enclosed area of the promontory was c15m across. Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. D Alexander 1995. <1> <2>
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <3>
Site 28. Old ‘fort’ or dun on low outcrop up to c.10 mtrs above sea level and c.10 mtrs in diameter on top and evidence of walling on the southern edge. Possibly Iron-Age. <4>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <5>
- <1> SHG206 Text/Publication/Article: Alexander, D. 1995. 'Arisaig (Arisaig & Moidart parish), desk-based survey and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40. 40.
- <2> SHG21370 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital.
- <3> SHG27950 Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2538.
- <4> SHG27494 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital.
- <5> SHG27869 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6416 8531 (22m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2538.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/132606 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.