MHG27231 - Farmstead, corn drying kiln, enclosures, Camas Chonalain Mor
Farmstead, corn drying kiln, enclosures, Camas Chonalain Mor
Type and Period (3)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CORN DRYING KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxviii). One unroofed building with an attached length of wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 August 1996.
Camas Chonalain Mor
This site was recorded by NOSAS in 2006 as part of an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn.
Site 824. A rectangular stone building, measuring c10.5m E-W x 3.5m internally. Three of the walls are largely intact and stand to 1.5m high and 0.8m wide. The south wall is tumbled, but has a possible entrance in the centre. The corners are rounded inside and out at the east end. An outshot, 4.25m x 2.5m internally, to the south is more crudely constructed. A small structure, a possible kiln, Site 826, abuts the NE corner. Enclosures, Sites 825 and 827, are adjacent. A winding stone wall, possibly a boundary (not recorded separately), stretches away to the NE.
Site 826. A small, circular stone structure abutting the NE corner of farmstead, Site 824. Internally, it measures 0.7m in diameter and is 0.4m deep. Regular stone facing is visible internally.
Site 825. An enclosure situated on the east side of a small stream to the east of the farmstead, Site 824. Enclosed by the scant remains of a curving wall and, on the NW side, by the stream.
Site 827. A triangular enclosure, lying between two burns, adjacent to and south of Site 824. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2010 APs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8614 0731 (60m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117931 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.