MHG27238 - Farmstead, Rubha Leac an Aoil
Farmstead, Rubha Leac an Aoil
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead, comprising three unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxviii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 August 1996.
Rubha Leac an Aoil
Thes sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2006 as part of an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn.
Site 990. The turf covered footings of a building, measuring c 11m x 3m overall. Appears as roofless on the first edition OS.
Site 907. The two partially upstanding gable ends of a building, measuring c18m x 3m internally, with one gable standing to 1.7m in height. Part of the building sits on a platform c 12m x 1m high at the front. A possible dwelling house, shown as unroofed on the 1st edition OS.
Site 906. Two partially upstanding gable ends of a stone built dwelling house, measuring c 11m x 3m internally and sitting on a level platform. Shown on the 1st edition OS as unroofed. A hollowed out square feature, c 3m x 3m, adjoins the main structure. Possible dwelling house. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 Aps <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note; NGR adjusted by 1st Edition OS 6" and realligned by 199-2001 Aps. (T.Blackie 13/6/18)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.17 Sites 906,907,990.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8752 0683 (112m by 54m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117939 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.