MHG27328 - Farmstead, Rhue
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising two roofed buildings, one of which is L-shaped, two unroofed buildings, an enclosure and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv). One roofed, three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The north western area of the Rhu peninsula is now part of Rhu Farm, stretching west and north to the coast of the main farmhouse to the point at Rhubh’ Arisaig in the north-west corner. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 35. Rhu House—one of the few places on the peninsula still occupied built c.1774 by Iain “Fraingeach ” MacDonald, who was a tenant of Clanranald farming much of the peninsula by 1775. MacDonald planted apple trees hence the name of the area becoming Dubh Chamas na Ubhail—Black Bay of the Apples. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6191 8417 (61m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118325 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.