MHG27331 - Shieling settlement - Loch Bealach na Gaoithe
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING HUT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHIELING SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NM67NE 6 685 763
What may be three unroofed shieling-huts are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxlviii). Nine unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 August 1996
This shieling settlement was visited by Ken and Jean Bowker in 2006, and they undertook a basic photographic survey. Sixteen structures were identified, ranging from gable-ended constructions to circular ruins and very basic rock shelters. The most notable was a storehouse of some kind (number 8), which still had a complete slab roof and a cover at the doorway. <1>
This shieling settlement was re-visited by Ken and Jean Bowker between 2010 and 2013. They undertook a measured photographic survey. Seventeen structures were identified, ranging from a gable-ended house to rock shelters. For individual feature descriptions, please see report. <2>
- <1> SHG25838 Text/Correspondence: Bowker, K & J. 2006. A photographic survey of Bealach na Gaoithe, Glenuig, Inverness-shire. Unaffiliated. Sites 1-16.
- <2> SHG25839 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Bowker, K & J. 2013. Shielings, Bealach na Gaoithe, by Glenuig. Unaffiliated. 29/10/2013. Digital. Sites 1-17.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6850 7630 (478m by 477m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118329 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.