MHG27336 - Building, Rhumach
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An unroofed building attached to a short length of wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxx) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 12 August 1996
A walkover survey was undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covering the gently sloping sheltered south-east side of Torr Mòr.
Site 34. Substantial building of up to 1.5 metres high c. 9 x 5 metres short side to the north – position of doorway or windows unclear – though a possible entrance on the north side. Walling on the south end of the building c. 4 x 5 metres against north facing hill side. Building set along the long well built wall leading up to and along modern road and down to the shore line. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.81 Site 34.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6376 8542 (31m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118334 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.