MHG27361 - Cemetery, Cille Chuimein
A small burial ground depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, probably now incorporated in the modern cemetery.
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- CEMETERY (In use, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD)
- BURIAL GROUND (In use, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
'"Cummings burying place" and applies to a graveyard…'
Name book 1876 Book No 29, 165 <1>
A small enclosure which, according to the Name Book (1876) is a graveyard, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cvi), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 14 August 1996.
'Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993.
J Aitken : 20/12/02 <2>
The present cemetery at Cille Chuimein lies on the western side of the new road alignment and probably incorporates the graveyard mentioned under <1>. <3>
The Morar War Memorial arch lies within this graveyard. It probably covers both Mallaig and Morar. Photographs of the arch were submitted to the HER by Martin Briscoe in January 2010. <4><5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alistair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. 1990. Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 1st.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <5> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 26/01/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 67698 93720 (38m by 119m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118360 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.