MHG27363 - Building, North-Western Rhu peninsula
Ruined building/barn, North-Western Rhu peninsula
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxiv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
This area, as with Western Rhu, is now part of Rhu Farm, with no concentrated settlement but with a scattering of old cultivation and peat digging areas. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 29. Substantial unroofed stone built ruin once the store house for the Port na h-eithier. Approximately 14 x 8 metres with complete walls to over 2 metres and with one entrance to the NE short end. The wall extends to about metre high on the seaward side protecting the entrance and a further section of walling at the SW end open on the seaward side encloses a smaller compartment. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6233 8485 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118362 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.