MHG27370 - Longhouse, possible byre and building, Sandaig (Allt Sanntaig), Rhu
Ruined longhouse with possible byre, flat platform and adjacant building at Sandaig (Allt Sanntaig), Rhu
Type and Period (4)
- LONGHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PLATFORM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An unroofed long building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv) and is shown with two compartments on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974) in addition to another unroofed building.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Sandaig, overlooking the sea to the south of the peninsula, was a significant settlement of at least eight sub rectangular features and several smaller structures possibly used for storage. It was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 6. A substantial ruin in 2 compartments. NE building c. 5m wide and 6m long possible byre. Attached house c. 7x8m. Doorways to each building on SE side. Possible windows on bigger building on SE and NW side. Extant walls between one and one and a half metres high. Bigger building in better condition than the other. A well built flat platform c. 1 ½ m wide runs along the SE (door) side of the buildings.
Site 7. A small ruin of c. 4 x 5 mtrs with walls to around a metre high all round. One small entrance on the SE side.
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.16 Sites 6,7.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6556 8375 (33m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118369 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.