MHG27372 - Township, Camas Ghaoideil (Gaoth Dail ), Rhu
Township at Camas Ghaoideil (Gaoth Dail ), Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The following new sites were recorded in a desk-based survey and field inspection in four areas proposed for natural woodland regeneration.
NM 6709 8444 Four rectilinear structures.
NM 6720 8456 Three rectilinear structures.
NM 6719 8443 Rectilinear structures: a drystone house with turf-covered foundation immediately to its S. A second drystone house lies c30m E of the first, with a possible lean-to structure on the N side.
A report is lodged with the NMRS. Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. D Alexander 1995. <1>
Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al. The northern half of the area is now covered in very rough grazing; tussock grass, rushes, low scrub, birch trees and a shallow loch, Loch Dubh. The southern half is a bowl of still better pasture now increasingly covered with soft rush. This area descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c. 350 m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west and is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings . To the north and west of the walled pasture under the rougher pasture, are extensive areas of old cultivation rigs or feannagan. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Alexander, D. 1995. 'Arisaig (Arisaig & Moidart parish), desk-based survey and field inspection', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40. 40.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.11,12,13,14.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6709 8428 (304m by 588m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118371 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.