MHG27373 - Farmstead, Lón Liath, Torr Mor Ghaoideil, Rhu
Farmstead at Lón Liath, Torr Mor Ghaoideil, Rhu
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
This site was visited in January 2011 by Ken and Jean Bowker of Moidart Local History Group. A brief report including photographs was submitted to the HER and is attached to this record. The buildings are described as follows:
"The main, more northerly building is approximately 10m by 4.5m and is aligned east / west, with rounded external corners and right-angled internal corners. It is well-built, but with no trace of internal walls. There is one door and two windows, in the south wall. The doorway has horizontal slots in it, perhaps for bars. The walls stand to roof height, about 1.66m high, along the south side and on both ends – but the north wall is largely tumbled and windows cannot be discerned. <1>
A walkover survey at Lón Liath was undertaken in 2015 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covering a large level open field of old feannagan or rigs running north-east south-west for over 300 metres and over 80 metres at its widest point between the Lón Liath burn and the woodland.
Site 15a. On a level fairly exposed area 38 metres above sea level a large roofless building c.11 x 6 metres - the long side facing north/south. Doorway with windows on either side facing south – walls well built to 1 .5 meters with rounded corners but back north wall tumbled. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Bowker, K & J. 01/2011. Torr Mor Ghaoideil. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.128 Site 15a.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6740 8391 (13m by 7m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118372 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.