MHG27374 - Enclosure, cattle pen? Druim an Daraich
Enclosure/cattle pen/drove stance? Druim an Daraich
Type and Period (3)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CATTLE PEN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DROVE STANCE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
An enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
A walkover survey was undertaken in 2015 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covering the area of the coast running south-west from Saideil Druim an Daraich.
Site 12. Corner (NE) of large area walled off as a possible cattle yard or stance well marked on OS 1:2500 map. Entrance on NE facing wall; walls varying in height from c.75 cms to 1.25 metres. Land inside area sloping now with some large mature trees*. Enclosure irregular shape c. 0.16 of a hectare or just over a third of an acre. Fank or yard referred to as Clanranald’s Orchard but was probably built for containing cattle. (*Some of these trees later identified as cherry). <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.119 Site 12.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6815 8413 (53m by 53m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/118373 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.