MHG2746 - Kilmorack Cemetery, St. Moroc's Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH44SE0013 Old Parish Church
NH44SE0025 Graveyard associated with NH44SE0013
JHooper, 18/12/2002
-----
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
-----
NH44SE 12 4930 4427.

(NH 4930 4427) Grave Yard {NAT}
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1871-2)

Kilmorack Churchyard...only a few old stones remain...The church has been rebuilt on the other side of the road.'
W R Macdonald 1902

Kilmorack church was apparently dedicated to St. Moroc, who is said to have been a Culdee abbot of Dunkeld.
OPS 1855

On an excursion to Kilmorack:- ' The ruins of the old chapel and burying ground of Ess, supposed to have been built by Thomas Bisset, were the first point of interest.'
ISSFC 1923

It is not certain that Authy. 4 is referring to the Kilmorack graveyard, but it seems to be implied. The chapel of 'Ess' could have its derivation from 'Eas' referring to the waterfall, by which the graveyard lies.

There are now no certain traces of a church or its footings in
Kilmorack churchyard and no further information could be obtained locally.
Visited by OS (R D) 17 December 1964


Kilmorack, St Moroc's Church (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG8612.


OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 507-8 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.


Macdonald, W R, 1902, 'The heraldry in some of the old churchyards between Tain and Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 36 1901-2, pp 688-732, 713-4 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1679.


ISSFC, 1926, 'Excursion to Beaufort and Kilmorack', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 9 1918-25, p.391-2, 391 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG756.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 24, No. 179 (Text/Report). SHG2673.


Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie, 1994, Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2160.

Sources/Archives (6)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4934 4428 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH44SE
Civil Parish KILMORACK
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.