MHG2747 - Hut Circle - Loch Cuil Na Caillich
Hut Circle near Loch Cuil Na Caillich
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Hut Circle (NR)
OS 25"map, (1970)
Situated on a level hill shelf is a circular stone-walled hut (described by Wallace (T Wallace 1886)) measuring c. 13.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall spread to c. 2.5m all round. Several inner wall facing stones are visible round the S. and W. arcs. The 'simple' entrance in the E. is c. 1.5m wide.
Visited by OS (R L) 18 March 1970
Published survey (25") revised
Visited by OS (I S S) 12 January 1972
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. 351-3.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 113.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4505 4149 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12383 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.