MHG2752 - Crannog, Loch Knockie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
The islands of Loch Knockie were visited by Blundell in 1912. In his opinion, the smaller island (30 x 12ft.) is certainly artificial, but the purpose of its construction 50 yards from the larger one (219 x 242 ft.) is difficult to explain.
F O Blundell 1913
This island is undoubtedly artificial. Surmounted by trees, it is largly composed of small stones and now rises 0.8m above the present level of the loch. It measures 11.0m NE to SW by 7.0m NW to SE and along the NW and SE sides slight traces of crude walling can be seen, while in the SW corner there is a circular stone structure, 1.9 m in diameter by 0.6m deep, the purpose of which cannot be ascertained. No trace of a causeway could be found.
Visited by OS (R D) 15 October 1965
As described by Dickson. The "circular stone structure" is probably a later shooting butt.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 October 1970
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4618 1407 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12306 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.