MHG27561 - Creag Ard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NH53SW 37 5002 3282
A hut-circle, a possible hut-circle and an area of small cairns occupy a a ridge overlooking Loch na Bo Ruaidhe. The hut-circle measures 12m by 9m between wall centres and traces of stone kerbing are exposed on the SW. The entrance lies on the SE. A possible hut-circle lies about 90m to the NW and consists of a semi-ovoid bank measuring 5m by 2m and which is 2m wide. Within, there is a low mound, possibly a natural feature caused by slumping down the slope from the E. Small cairns extend for some 300m to the NE along a narrow terrace varying in width between 25m and 35m.
J Wordsworth 1995; NMRS MS 961/8, no.2
NH 5002 3282 Oval roundhouse 12 x 9m and clearance heaps on terrace 300 x 30m.
J Wordsworth 1997 <1>
A walkover survey took place in August 2008 in connection with a proposed overhead power line. The hut circle described above lies close to the route but was not identified during the survey. Numerous small cairn-like features were noted, but these may have a natural origin. It is recommended that the hut circles are identified, marked out and avoided, and that a watching brief is maintained during the works in this area. <2>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Coul-na-Kirk, Glenurquhart. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 17/12/1995. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1997. 'Culnakirk, Glenurquart (Urquhart & Glenmoriston parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.52. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 52. 52.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 10/2008. Kiltarlity to Drumnadrochit Overhead Line: Desk Based and Walk-Over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 14/10/2008. Digital. Feature X.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5002 3282 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119251 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.