MHG27562 - Creag Ard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A hut-circle and an area of small cairns lie on a terrace on the W slope of Creag Ard. The hut-circle is oval and measures 10m by 9m and, where exposed, on the N, the wall is 1.3m wide. The entrance lies on the S. Small cairns lie to both the N and S of the hut-circle. Those on the N peter out on a peat-covered terrace after about 40m.
J Wordsworth 1995; NMRS MS 961/8, no.3
NH 5024 3287 Oval roundhouse 10 x 9m, with associated clearance heaps up to 40m distant.
J Wordsworth 1997
A walkover survey that took place in August 2008 did not identify this hut circle or cairnfield, but this is probably due to thick vegetation cover. It is recommended that the hut circles are marked out and avoided during the proposed works. <1>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Coul-na-Kirk, Glenurquhart. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 17/12/1995. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1997. 'Culnakirk, Glenurquart (Urquhart & Glenmoriston parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.52. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 52. 52.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 10/2008. Kiltarlity to Drumnadrochit Overhead Line: Desk Based and Walk-Over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 14/10/2008. Digital. Feature Y.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5024 3287 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119252 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.