MHG27563 - Ledmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PLANTATION BANK (Undated)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NH68NE 79 from 6530 8958 to 6651 8928
What may be a plantation bank, which is depicted on 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxi), was visited during the course of forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.16). The plantation bank survives as a substantial earth and stone bank and forms eastern extension of a series of banked enclosures to W. The bank generally follows the contour except at E end where it turns S to head of the Allt an Fhuarain and serves as a property boundary.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.16
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6530 8958 - Plantation bank.
NH 6651 8928
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6530 8958 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119256 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.