MHG2779 - Cemetery, Auchteraw Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Grave Yard (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A graveyard about 250 years old, with no church near it. Interments still take place here. It was until recently a Roman Catholic graveyard, but now people are buried in it irrespective of their religion.
Name Book 1871
The existence of this burial ground and the neighbouring name Allt na Cille - "Burn of the Church" - suggests that this is the site of the "Popish meeting-house on the farthest farm west in the parish,
adjoining Glengarry" mentioned by Fraser. It was obviously still in use in 1835.
NSA (W Fraser) 1845
The graveyard is still in use and used mainly for R C burials.
Visited by OS (R D) 11 May 1964
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (J B) 20 February 1979
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. 1994. Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, 62.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 39, 67.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3478 0741 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12213 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.