MHG27887 - Pillbox - Evanton Airfield, Alness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PILLBOX (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A second pillbox is situated some 250m S of NH66NW 34.07 on the raised bank above the intertidal area facing Alness Bay.
Immediately beyond in an area of scrub and just outside the runway permeter track are the bases of several perimeter and dispersal buildings.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE) May 1997 <1>
Alan Kinghorn has contributed photographs of this pillbox which were taken in June 2011. <2>
This pillbox was noted in ARCH's Evanton Wartime Remains project in 2013. It was described as a rectangular brick pillbox, roofed, with turf on top. Pictures from the 1960s also show it with turf, and it may well have been turfed during the wartime as a disguise, although no one remembers it from this time. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 119769.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Kinghorn, A. 2011. Photographs of pillboxes. Yes. Digital. June 2011.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2013. Evanton Wartime Remains. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 45.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6283 6655 (4m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/evanton-wartime-remains.asp (Link to ARCH project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119769 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)