MHG27913 - Loch Leven
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- SHIELING HUT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NN16SW 3 1468 6176
An unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1873, sheet clxvii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 23 September 1996
A building, a possible corn-drying kiln and several field clearance cairns (MS 738/31, nos. 7, 9, 11, 13 and 21) overlooking Loch Leven, were recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland Ltd).
The building, which measures 6m from E to W by 3.5m and is less than 0.3m high, is that depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyll 1873-5, sheet xxxi). There is no obvious entrance although fragments of roughly cut slate suggest that the structure was roofed. A terrace extends W from the SW corner of the building.
A possible corn-drying kiln, lies to the SW of the building on the shoreline of Loch Leven at NH 1450 1660. Set into the hillside, the kiln is built of large blocks of limestone and basalt and measures 4m in diameter. The kiln walls are up to 1m thick and stand up to 1m in height. There is an apparent entrance on the S side. The kiln is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (ibid).
Immediately above the shoreline of the loch, there is a broken line of field clearance (from NN 1445 6158 to NN 1475 6170) (NMRS MS 738/31, no.13), whilst to the NW there is an isolated field clearance cairn at NN 1446 6173 (NMRS MS 738/31, no.11).
C Burgess (AOC Scotland Ltd) March 1996; NMRS MS 738/31, nos. 7, 9, 11, 13 and 21 (9/2-4,10a/2-4).
At the location noted by AOC (Scotland) Ltd on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyll 1873-5, sheet xxxi), it is possible that the depiction of bushes on the shoreline may have been taken for a structure similar to a kiln.
Information from RCAHMS (PM) 7 July 1997
This record applies to a number of different sites, which have now been separated (see related records). The comment made by RCAHMS in 1997 (see above) relates specifically to features at NN 1461 6166 (see MHG54164). This is the location of a building shown on the 1st edition map and noted during walkover survey. It was recorded as Site 7: The remains of this rectilinear drystone structure measures 6.0 m west - east and 3.5 m north - south. There is no visible entrance nor any other features that indicates the purpose of this structure. The presence of several pieces of roughly cut slate suggests that the structure was roofed with slates. A south facing terrace runs for 5.0m from the southwest comer of the structure in a westerly direction.
Both the structure and the terrace stand to a height of less than 0.3 m. This structure is marked as disused on the first edition 6" map, and is probably the remains of a steading that is related to the cultivatable fields on the north side of Loch Leven centred at NN 1450 1660. <1><2>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1468 6175 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117202 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.