MHG28019 - Fanblair
A building, possibly constructed of turf on stone footings, which was probably once part of the Fanblair Estate.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- None recorded
NH53NW 69 5103 3660
A building, lying to the E of the ditch that runs along the N side of Blairmore, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by J Wordsworth (NMRS MS 9961/9, no.6). The building measures 15m by 4m and was possibly of turf construction on a stone footing. As the building lies to the W of the march dyke of Blairmore it must have originally been part of Fanblair. It is not depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xviii).
J Wordsworth 15 December 1995; NMRS MS 961/9, no.6
No remains were detected during a walkover survey in August 2008, which was inhibited by vegetation growth. <1>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of a Proposed Plantation at Blairmore and Cudrish, Glencovinth. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 15/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 10/2008. Kiltarlity to Drumnadrochit Overhead Line: Desk Based and Walk-Over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 14/10/2008. Digital. Feature G.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5103 3660 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/121788 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.