MHG28057 - Wooden Vessel from Peat, Dalness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
(Purchase). Vessel, rudely cut out of a solid block of wood, of oval shape, slightly incurved at the mouth, with two vertical handles in the middle of each end, measuring externally 13 1/2 ins (0.34m) 11 1/2 ins (0.29m) and 7 3/8 ins (0.19m) in height, found in digging peats at Dalness, Sutherland.
The 1:10,000 gazetteer notes Dalness (NC 65 54) as the only such name in Sutherland.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 October 1997.
This object is held in the Royal Museum of Scotland under accession number SFA 24 (formerly ME 747). It has been microscopically indentified as of alder, and may be unfinished.
Information from Dr JA Sheridan (NMS), 5 November 1997.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. SFA 24.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1964. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 95 1961-2, p.311-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 311-18. 311.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6500 5400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- VESSEL (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/122439 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.