MHG2815 - Homestead, Gollanfield
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOMESTEAD (Undated)
Air photography has revealed the crop-marks of a homestead and a pit-circle about 200m WSW of Mains of Gollanfield farmhouse. The homestead is circular on plan and measures about 20m in diameter; it contains slight indications of what may have been a timber house. Outside the homestead on the SE there is a pit-circle, possibly the remains of a timber house, which measures about 12m in diameter. An arc of ditch and a number of pits are visible about 45m to the NW.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photographs IN 2656, 3074-8: flown 1976 and 1977.
Tolan, notes two pit-circles at NH 806 533.
M Tolan 1988.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 17, No. 107 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
Tolan, M, 1988, Pit circles in Scotland: some possible interpretations, 67-8, No. 8 (Text/Manuscript). SHG2886.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 17, No. 107.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Tolan, M. 1988. Pit circles in Scotland: some possible interpretations. 67-8, No. 8.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8067 5330 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5167 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5167 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.