MHG28197 - Possible settlement - Dornoch, Meadows Business Park
No summary available.
Type and Period (6)
- BUILDING (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- DITCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- PIT (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- HEARTH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- MIDDEN (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH78NE 73 797 895
NH 797 895 A watching brief was commissioned by Highland Council Archaeology Service on a site to S of former bishop's palace (now Bishops Hotel) on S edge of burgh of Dornoch. The watching brief, first archaeological project to have been carried out in town, involved monitoring topsoil stripping and groundworks associated with development of a new business park and was carried out in late May. Cut into buried sand dunes were truncated remains of a substantial post-medieval ditch, possibly of a defensive enclosure, numerous ditches forming enclosures and at least one building, pits and several hearth-like features, together with a large quantity of slag and burnt clay (including a tuyere), all sealed below a deep deposit of medieval cultivation soil.
The watching brief on this site and searches by a local metal detectorist yielded a varied assemblage of medieval and post-medieval artefacts. Finds of medieval date include copper-alloy objects such as a small bell, a lobate stud or boss, a strap end and numerous other fittings. A bone pin beater fragment and several corroded iron artefacts were also recovered. Later material includes a number of buttons, an openwork brooch and several clay pipe fragments. Coins of James IV, James VI, Charles I and Charles II were also found. <1>
Later post excavation work and radiocarbon dating place the main period of activity here in the late 1st millenium AD, The evidence recovered also suggest a long traditon of ironworking here from the early medieval period continuing through the medieval period. <2>
The radiocarbon dates obtained in association with the better understood stratigraphic relationships have allowed a basic sequence to be established. The earliest phase of activity seems to date to the 8th-9th centuries
AD, with the second and main phase of activity in the 10th century possibly extending into the 11th century; there was one isolated feature dating to the 15th century. The settlement and/or industrial activity is possibly Pictish or Norse. <3>
See reports below for detailed site information including radiocarbon dates. <2> <3>
See link below also to Scottish Radiocarbon Database for radiocarbon results.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Cox, Coleman and Miller, A, R and C. 1997. 'Meadows Business Park, Dornoch (Dornoch parish), medieval occupation and post-medieval finds', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.46. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 46. 46.
- <2> Text/Report: Coleman R. Meadows Business Park, Dornoch. SUAT Ltd. . .
- <3> Text/Report: Coleman, R., Photos-Jones, E.. 2009. Early medieval settlement and ironworking in Dornoch, Sutherland excavations at 'The Meadows Business Park'. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report Vol. 28. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7971 8953 (59m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SLAG (Undated)
- SHERD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOUNT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PIN (Undated)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- SHOT (Undated)
- NAIL (Undated)
- SOLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- COUNTER (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- WORKED OBJECT (Early Iron Age to Early Medieval - 550 BC? to 1057 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- PLANT MICRO REMAINS (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- DAUB (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD? to 1559 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair28.pdf (Click to view published report)
- https://canmore.org.uk/c14index/123446 (Link to Scottish Radiocarbon Database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/123446 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.