MHG28254 - Quarry, east of Garbh-allt, Little Rogart
A quarry that may have supplied stone for the adjacent mill dam.
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD? to 1873 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A quarry and part of a mill dam are visible beside a knoll on the E of the Garbh-allt. The quarry has been dug into the SE of the knoll and the stub of a dam-wall runs from the W side of the quarry pit. The stone dyke that encloses Little Rogart cuts across the quarry-pit. The dam and the adjacent mill-pond are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherlandshire 1879, sheet civ).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995 <1>
Although the above extract from Canmore discusses the group of features as a whole, this record is only for the quarry. <2>
The report on a rapid walkover survey conducted in 2011 notes that the quarry may have supplied the material for building the dam. It is recommended that this feature need not be excluded from any planting in the area. The report also notes that the stone dyke that cuts across the quarry may well be a reconstruction to an earlier line. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 124416 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<2> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 10/11/2011 (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.
<3> Wood, J, 02/2011, Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey, R4 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25553.
<3> Wood, J, 02/2011, Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey, R4 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25569.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 124416.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 10/11/2011.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R4.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7313 0328 (13m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/124416 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.